Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Lockett Ready for Take Off

World middleweight title challenger Gary Lockett heads to Atlantic City on Sunday with the aim of pulling off the biggest shock since Lloyd Honeyghan beat Don Curry. Over 20 years ago, also in Atlantic City, Curry was the undisputed and unbeaten welterweight champion and rated as the worlds best pound for pound fighter. Nobody gave Honeyghan a chance of beating Curry but the Ragamuffin Man destroyed him inside seven rounds. Lockett meets WBO/WBC title holder and top ten pound-for-pounder Kelly Pavilk on June 7th at the famous Boardwalk Hall and Like Honeyghan, nobody is giving Lockett a chance but he reckons the world is in for a big surprise. And after a red hot media workout today he promised to return to Wales with the titles." I've watched Honeyghan's stunning win against Curry many times on video and it feels strange that I could be on the verge of doing the same against Pavlik a week on Saturday in the same city," said Lockett." Honeyghan was a massive underdog when he faced Curry but he ended up winning in style,"" I'm under no illusions. The odds are greatly stacked against me but out of that I draw some comfort knowing that I'm going to give this guy the fight of his life,"" Pavlik was in the same position as me when he went in the first time against Jermain Taylor and he proved everybody wrong by stopping Taylor,"" Even Taylor was in the same position went he went in against Bernard Hopkins and he went on to beat him,"" It's not impossible. I'm confident in my ability and know I'm going to be coming home the new world champion,"" Pavlik holds a big punch and everyone knows I can certainly bang so lets see what happens when we start landing."Trainer Enzo Calzaghe, who is embroiled in a war of words with Pavlik's trainer Jack Loew, added: "Gary has been murdering my hands for weeks now when I've been taking him on the pads,"" Make no mistake, when Gary lands it's going to be light's out for Pavlik and goodnight,"" Loew and his team have totally underestimated Gary and what he can do but they will know on the night when it is too late.".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home