Friday, June 13, 2008

Harrison Headlines in Birmingham

Audley Harrison returns to Britain on Saturday 19th July at the Aston Villa Events Centre in Birmingham as he focuses on his last chance at winning a world title.The 2000 Olympic Champion takes on Belfast puncher Martin Rogan - who shot to stardom following his win in the Prizefighter tournament - in a ten-round heavyweight contest.Harrison's last fight was against Jason Barnett in Las Vegas on the Joe Calzaghe-Bernard Hopkins undercard when he blasted out Jason Barnett in five rounds.Now under promoter Frank Warren, Harrison is under no illusions of what he has to do." This is it for me. I'm in a position where I have to beat Rogan and everybody else put in front of me from now on," Said Harrison." I've got another chance with Frank to achieve the dream of winning the world title and it starts against Rogan on July 19,"" Rogan looks like a tough guy with plenty of heart and he wants to have a 'W' next to my name on his career record, but he's going up against a guy with everything to lose so that will make me a very very dangerous man on the night,"" I said from the beginning that I am going to win a world title. I've had my ups and downs on the way but I'm still here fighting away and I know that a loss at this stage is fatal but I'm re-focussed and know in my heart that I will win a world title."All-action, 6ft 3in and 16 1/2 stone, Rogan is unbeaten in ten fights and has stopped five early.He says he will finally end the career of Harrison." I'm delighted to get a fight against a big name like Audley Harrison," said Rogan, know as the Entertainer." He probably wouldn't know me if he passed me on the street, but he's going to know all about me when I land a big right hander on that porcelain chin of his,"" Harrison wants me because he thinks I will be an easy touch, but this is his last chance and will be finished if he losses," " He will have to come and fight me because I don't do tip-tap, fancy, boxing. I'm a big guy and so is he so let's just stand toe-to-toe, slug it out, and see who has the best heart and chin," " It is very fitting that we are coming up to the second Olympic Games since Harrison won Gold in Sydney and on that anniversary he will have his career ended by Martin Rogan."Chief support on the card features Birmingham middleweight star Matthew Macklin, the former Irish Champion and British title challenger, who is back with Frank Warren and looking ahead to big title ambitions. On the undercard, unbeaten prospects Kenny Anderson and Denton Vassell continue their progress; plus undefeated Birmingham stars Don Broadhurst, the 2006 Commonwealth Games Champion and Thomas Costello plus Driffield light-middleweight Curtis Woodhouse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home