Monday, July 07, 2008

Siddique homes in on Saville

Nadeem Siddique aims to prove he is one of Britain's top lightweight contenders with an emphatic win over Steve Saville on Friday, 11th July 2008. Unbeaten star Siddique's eight round contest is chief support to the vacant British Lightweight Title battle between Manchester duo Lee Meager and John Murray at the Robin Park Arena in Wigan on a Hennessy Sports show in association with GoldenPalace.net Ghana's Alex Brew lasted just two rounds against Sid at the Nottingham Arena in May and was due to meet Canadian Julius Odion last month before the bout had to be postponed. The Bradford boxer will now box Saville (Walsall), who made a successful comeback last month after six years out. After campaigning at welterweight earlier in his career, Siddique is now aiming to face the likes of the winner of Murray-Meager. "Steve will be fired up after making a good comeback but I intend to look good in this one like I did in my last fight," said Nadeem, who is unbeaten in 22 fights. "It was difficult having the fight with the Canadian kid cancelled, but that's boxing and I can't wait for my chance against Saville. "I want to put on a good display for the Sky Sports cameras and it's a chance for me to show people that I'm getting closer to title contention. A British title fight could happen soon. "People had better start to spell my name right because I'm going to be making a name for myself in the next year. It's only a matter of time before I prove myself." Also in action on the Wigan bill is two-time British title challenger Brian Magee, who will be aiming to win his third fight in a row on the comeback trail. The Belfast boxer was held to a draw in a challenge for Tony Oakey's British light-heavyweight title in Dublin a year ago but has since out-pointed Tyrone Wright and Mark Nilsen since drawing with Oakey. Manchester light-welterweight Darren Askew looks for his fifth win since making his professional debut in October 2007. Southpaw Darren, 23, bounced back from his first loss his last fight with a six round win over Kristian Laight. Walsall light-welterweight Martin Gethin hopes to keep his unbeaten record intact against John Baguley (Rotherham) over six rounds while Blackburn welterweight Ali Shah has his second pro fight and welterweight Khurram 'Iceman' Hussain (Bradford/Sheffield) hopes to improve his record of 6-1-1.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home