Thursday, September 18, 2008

Chisora sharpens tools for Heavyweight Division

Hard-hitting heavyweight hope Derek Chisora has promised to breath new life into the "boring" domestic heavyweight division. 'Del Boy' is out in action again next Friday night at Bethnal Green's York Hall in a 10 round International contest, and his immediate aim is to climb to the top of the British rankings. His big date in front of the Sky television cameras follows an explosive KO win over American Sean McLean in London less than a week ago on Frank Warren's big DebRA charity show. And he reckons that he is the man to inject some interest into a domestic scene that has been dominated by Danny Williams, Matt Skelton, Michael Sprott and Audley Harrison for years. "I watched Audley Harrison's fight against George Arias the other week and it was dire," said 24-year-old Chisora, who lives in Finchley, North London. "The public paid good money to watch him fight and all he did was send them to sleep. "I even dropped off watching the fight at home on television. "In fact, the whole domestic scene has got boring, and I'm the man to turn things around. "People want excitement when they watch boxing, and when they watch heavyweight boxing they want excitement and knock outs, and that is what you are going to get with me. "I can punch, I can fight and I like to entertain, and I'm just what the heavyweights need right now. I promise that I'll make things interesting again." Despite having had just six fights, Chisora is already in the British top 10, mainly thanks to an outstanding win over Sam Sexton earlier this year. That win looks even better following Sexton's victory in last weekend's Prizefighter tournament. "Sexton is a good fighter, but he's not great against someone who can move, and that's why I beat him," said Chisora, who marched to the ABA title in 2005. "I can brawl but I can box as well, and that's why the public will want to watch me." Chisora is already catching the eye of respected boxing writers. The Observer's Kevin Mitchell, who attended the DebRA show and watched Chisora in action, said in his column last Sunday: "If you want to keep an eye out for an exciting prospect in the heavyweight division, you could do worse than follow the fortunes of Derek 'Del Boy' Chisora, of Finchley, the former ABA Champion who took his pro career record to six straight wins by accounting for a tall American called Sean McLean." "It's great that the media are starting to recognise me, " He added. "It gives me a big boost when I read something like that but I know it only takes one punch to wreck my dreams so I just try to keep focused, train hard and keep my feet on the ground."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home