Monday, September 29, 2008

Munroe is Midlands Star Boxer

RENDALL MUNROE has been voted Midlands Boxer of the Year. The European super-bantamweight champion picked up his gong at a swanky awards ceremony in Birmingham on Saturday night. Munroe (16-1) held off fierce competition beating British middleweight champion Wayne Elcock, Carl Froch and amateur star Frankie Gavin to one of the most prestigious prizes in domestic boxing. Leicester's punching dustman was shocked to receive the award which Froch had won four years running from the Midlands Area Council. He said: "I saw all the boxers at the dinner and the last thing I expected was to win the award. I'm over the moon. "It isn't just for me. My manager Mike Shinfield and trainer Jason Shinfield also deserve recognition for believing in me when others didn't." Area chairman Dave Roden praised Munroe and FTM for bringing boxing back to the region. He said: "It is a credit to our Midlands licence holders that the Area is now well and truly at the forefront of professional boxing in the UK.
"Major promoters are once again showing considerable interest in staging TV events in the area." The working class hero is rapidly becoming one of Britain's most popular fighters and on course to challenge for the world title in 2009. Maloney will also be lobbying for Munroe to be ranked in the WBC top ten when he attends their convention which is being held in China during the first week of November. Munroe added: "People tell me I keep my feet on the floor. Why should I be any different however well my boxing is going? "The turning point was signing with Frank last year. He guaranteed me fights at my natural weight."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home