Friday, October 10, 2008

Broadhurst headlines in Birmingham

Birmingham star Don Broadhurst will challenge for the first professional title of his career in his hometown on Friday 31 October. Broadhurst, the 2006 Commonwealth Games Champion, headlines the Aston Events Centre when he challenges for the Vacant Commonwealth Super-Flyweight Championship against an opponent to be named shortly. The change has meant that Kell Brook, who was scheduled to defend his British Welterweight title against Kevin McIntyre on this show, will now face the Scotsman at the Kelvin Hall in Glasgow on Friday 14 November.
All-action Broadhurst, 25, is now unbeaten in eight fights and in his last bout in June on the Amir Khan-Michael Gomez undercard, he beat Alain Bonnel in front of 10,000 fans at the N.I.A.
He said, "It's unbelievable that I'm going to be headlining a show in my home city for the first time. I don't know who the opponent is yet and I don't care who it is, the World Heavyweight Champion Wladimir Klitschko could be in the opposite corner and he would get a real good going over! I'm just over the moon that I'm going to be fighting for my first title in front of my home fans and I'm going to win it for them for all the support they have given me by coming to all my fights up and down the country. There's no way I'm going to lose." Matthew Macklin heads up the undercard when he features in a ten-round International middleweight contest, also on the card are Salford super-featherweight Stephen Foster Jnr; undefeated Birmingham light-middleweight Thomas Costello; Dudley middleweight Darren McDermott; Leicster light-middleweight Martin Concepcion and the pro debut of Peterborough super-middleweight Tariq Quaddas. A further two week delay to the mouthwatering Brook-McIntyre clash is sure to add further fuel to fire. The feuding welterweights will now meet at the historic fight venue to settle their dispute. Ricky Burns features as chief support on the card and makes the first defence of his Commonwealth Super-Featherweight title that he won against Osumanu Akaba last month.Edinburgh super-middleweight ace Kenny Anderson also continues his march towards the British title and further fights are to be added.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home