Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Cook and Khan Back in Action

Britain's only world boxing champion Nicky Cook and comeback kid Amir Khan are both in action on Saturday 6th December. Cook headlines a blockbuster show at the London ExCeL when he makes the first defence of his WBO World Super-Featherweight title against a challenger to be confirmed, while Amir Khan makes his big ring return at a venue to be confirmed.The 29-year-old from Dagenham put on a career best performance to outbox Alex Arthur and win a world title on his second attempt after he lost to Stephen Luevano in a WBO World Featherweight title fight last year. As Britain's sole world champion, Cook feels the pressure is on to successfully retain his title. "It means so much to me to defend my title for the first time in London in my backyard and as I'm the only British boxer to hold a world title the heat is on for me to deliver," "This time last year there were seven British boxers who held world titles and now I'm the only one out there so whoever the challenger is I'm telling them now - there is now way that belt is leaving me," He added that Khan should take stock from his experience. "Losing to Stephen Luevano in my first world title fight was an absolute gutter but I dusted myself off, went back to the gym, and was even hungrier to win the title the second time round," "Amir should look at me and see that a loss is not the end of the world and you can still come back and become world champion," "I'm looking forward to the big night, it's a great card with Britain's best talent in action and it will be a great night for the fans," Bolton star Khan has gone back to the drawing board and has linked up with top trainer Freddie Roach at his Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles as he prepares for his comeback. The 21-year-old said, "It's been great out here, I'm not distracted with anything outside of boxing and all I do is train and learn,""I'm working on so much stuff with Freddie that I'm going home more mentally tired than physically tired!" "Although the loss to Prescott was a big blow, it was perhaps the best thing that could have happened to me because it made me realise I had to change things and I've made the right move to Freddie," "I'm really looking forward to my comeback fight on December 6 and showing everyone that I am back and have even more determination to reach the top." Promoter Frank Warren said, "The pressure is on both these lads. Nicky has got a lot of responsibility as Britain's only World Champion to defend it successfully on his home patch. He's a top quality fighter and the move up to super-featherweight has made him stronger. All eyes will be on Amir in his first fight back and he needs to prove that he is better fighter which I'm sure he will do. Tickets are available from Ticketmaster 0844 847 2500, See Tickets 0871 220 0260 and Frank Warren Box Office 01992 550 888.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home