Friday, October 17, 2008

Broadhurst to fight in Birmingham

Don Broadhurst is relishing the chance to fight for his first title in his home city after his opponent was named today. Broadhurst will tackle tough Ghanaian Isaac Quaye when he challenges for the Commonwealth super-flyweight title on October 31 at the Aston Events Centre in Birmingham. "I've had a look at his record and he is very experienced so I'm expecting a tough fight," said Broadhurst. "He's already been 12 rounds a couple of times, so I know I might have to go into the trenches at some point if I'm going to take the Commonwealth belt home with me. "But that should give the fans plenty to get excited about. I've already sold hundreds of tickets and there is a real buzz in Birmingham at the moment. "Hopefully this is just the start for me. I want to win the British and European titles in Birmingham as well - and fight here for a world title. "I had a non-title fight at the N.I.A when Amir Khan was up here in the summer, and the atmosphere then was amazing. Imagine what it's going to be like when I win the Commonwealth title." The Don, 24, is unbeaten in eight fights and ready to step up in class - and will need to be at his very best to defeat Quaye. Broadhurst will be joined on the card by fellow Brummies Matt Macklin and Thomas Costello, as well as a host of talented prospects.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home