Wednesday, December 31, 2008

DeGale awarded an MBE

Olympic gold medallist James DeGale has been awarded an MBE in the New Year Honours list - and says it is the perfect boost ahead of his professional debut next year. DeGale, 22, who won gold in the middleweight division at this summer's Beijing Games, is one of the youngest people to have been awarded the MBE. And he will look to build on that success when he fights for the first time as a professional under promoter Frank Warren in February alongside team mates Frankie Gavin and Billy Joe Saunders. "I was absolutely gob-smacked when I heard the news," said DeGale. "I'm so proud to have received this honour. 'It was a dream come true to represent my country at the Olympics and to have won a gold medal, and this just caps a perfect year for me. "To get this kind of public recognition is amazing, and I can't wait to go the Palace to collect it. "I achieved everything I possibly could have as an amateur, and turning professional made perfect sense. "But everything I did at the Olympics won't mean anything unless I translate it into success as a professional and that means winning a world title, which no British Olympic champion has achieved yet. "I've been back in the gym, training hard for my debut, and now the focus will be on learning my trade in the professional ranks. "My dream was always to win Olympic gold and then lift a world title. I've done half of that - now I've got to start all over again, but I'm relishing the challenge."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home