Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Jennings sets a trap for Cotto

Fresh off the back of Shane Mosley's surprise KO win over Antonio Margarito at the weekend, Michael Jennings has promised to deliver another welterweight shock when he fights Miguel Cotto next month. Chorley based Jennings will challenge Cotto for the WBO World Welterweight crown at New York's Madison Square Garden on February 21. And the 31-year-old says that Mosley's ninth round stoppage in LA on Saturday night has been an inspiration. "A lot of people thought that Margarito would walk right through Mosley, but the fight proved that anything can happen in boxing," said Jennings, who has a 34-1 (16) record and is a former British and current WBU World champion. "It was a cracking fight, but there was always a danger that Margarito could be given a bit of a boxing lesson because he gets hit so much, and that's what Mosley did to him. "I'm looking for another upset when I box Cotto and I'm confident that will happen. He's got two arms and two legs like everyone else, he's not some superman. "And who knows how much his loss against Margarito has taken out of him. "This is the kind of fight I've been dreaming about for years, and it's a fantastic opportunity that I plan to grab with both hands. "Going out to New York and meeting Cotto at the press conference has given me confidence as well. "Before you fight someone you tend to build them up in your head as some kind of monster, but standing toe to toe with Cotto I realised he's no different from me - and a bit smaller! "I'll have a height and reach advantage when I fight him and that will suit me down to the ground."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home