Monday, February 09, 2009

Cleverly looks for fight with Francis

Hot talent Nathan Cleverly is aiming to send out a KO message to British champion Dean Francis on Friday night. The pair will both appear on the same bill in Swindon - with a mouth-watering clash between the two scheduled for later this year. The light-heavyweight duo have been on a collision course for months, and Cleverly can't wait for the fight to happen. "Knowing that Francis holds the British title has been driving me mad," said the undefeated 21-year-old, who puts his Commonwealth crown on the line at the Oasis Sports Centre against Kenyan puncher Samson Otyango live on Sky Sports. "I believe I'm number one in the country, but until I beat Francis there will always be a debate as to who is the top dog. "I've been willing to fight him since the autumn, but for one reason or another the fight hasn't been made."But once I've dealt with Samson Otyango in style on Friday, then Francis can't run from me any more. "I've always dreamed about becoming a British champion, and to add the Lonsdale belt to my Commonwealth title would be a great buzz. I just hope Francis doesn't get cold feet after he sees me knock out Otyango. Cleverly has had just 14 fights, but is already being tipped as a star of the future.However veteran puncher Francis, who still harbours ambitions of challenging for a world belt, would be his toughest opponent to date. "It would be man against boy if we ever met," said Francis, who keeps busy with a fight against talented Joey Vegas in Swindon."Nathan's a good kid, but he's never fought anyone who punches like me, and he won't be able to take my power."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home