Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Jennings out to brush Cotto aside

Heartbreaker Michael Jennings is abandoning his girlfriend on Valentine's Day - so he can concentrate on breaking Miguel Cotto's heart in New York. But Jennings has vowed to return from the States with a bunch of two-dozen red roses - and the WBO World Welterweight title.Chorley's finest flies to America on Saturday ahead of his Madison Square Garden clash with Cotto on February 21. And it means that he'll be spending Valentine's day apart from his partner Zoe. However the 31-year-old says it will all be worthwhile when he inflicts defeat on power-punching Cotto, a former two-weight world champion. "I like to wine and dine my missus on Valentine's Day, but this year I'll be spending it traveling to New York - and in a no nonsense gym in the Bronx where I'm headed as soon as we touch down," said Jennings. "But if I win this fight it will make all the sacrifices worthwhile because if I beat Cotto then I've made it into the big league. "And she has already told me that the best present I can bring her back isn't expensive perfume or a diamond ring - but the world title. "There will be some huge fights down the line for me if I can win that belt. "Training camp has gone really well, and I feel in the shape of my life. "I don't think I've ever been sharper, and unless Cotto is taking me 100% seriously then he's in for a nasty surprise. "Obviously I've got a lot of respect for him because of what he has acheived at the highest level. But I'm not going to New York for a pay day. I'm coming to win and to become a world champion. It's what I've dreamed of for years."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home