Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Bermondsey boxer in Title tilt

Bermondsey middleweight Matthew Thirlwall returns to the ring at the Norfolk Showground, Norwich on February 28th Live on ITV4 to kick off what he hopes is going to be a big 2009.
By his own admission Thirlwall has yet to translate the undoubted potential he showed in the amateurs as an ABA Champion and regular England International into professional success. Having recently turned 28 he knows time is running out for him to turn potential into achievement. With his long term injury problems now behind him the Londoner believes he’s within touching distance of a title shot. “Originally it was my knee but more recently it was an elbow injury that was causing problems,” explained Thirlwall. “I’m over the injuries now. It was very frustrating at the time because everything was so stop – start but I’m feeling great at the moment so I just want to keep as busy as possible this year and get some consistency.”The Robert McCracken trained fighter says he’ll be keeping a close eye on the upcoming British middleweight title fight between Matthew Macklin and Wayne Elcock with a view to challenging the winner later in the year. “I think it’s going to be a great fight and I’d love a shot at the winner. I keep changing my mind about who will win but at the moment I’m leaning towards Elcock.“I suppose it all depends on the night really but I think Elcock’s a rough, strong kid and he could catch up with Macklin in the later rounds and stop him. Macklin’s capable of outboxing him too though so it’s a very hard one to call.“I’d jump at that chance to fight the winner if it came along. If I can get a couple of good wins under my belt then I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t be ready for a fight like that. It would be a dream come true to fight for the British title and I wouldn’t care who was in the opposite corner as long as I got a chance to fight for the Lonsdale belt.” Featuring on the exciting undercard: Danny McIntosh v Matthew Barney for the English Light Heavyweight Title (subject to Boards approval), also appearing New Heavyweight Sensation Tyson Fury, Lee Purdy and making his pro debut ABA Senior Featherweight Champion 2008 & awarded the best boxer of the night Royston’s Bradley Evans.
Tickets for Thirlwall’s next fight which is part of the undercard of Jon Thaxton’s first European title defence at the Norfolk Showground, Norwich on the 28th February are available from the Ticketline box office on 0871 424 4444 or via http://www.ticketline.co.uk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home