Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Munroe back from Oblivion

RENDALL MUNROE has hailed his former amateur trainers who stopped him from walking away from boxing when he was a teenager. Leicester's boxing binman listened and is on the verge of a world title challenge provided he successfully defends his European super-bantamweight championship against old rival Kiko Martinez (20-1) at Barnsley Metrodome on Friday. Promoter Frank Maloney hopes to set up a clash against the winner of next month's WBA title fight between Ricardo Cordoba and Bernard Dunne if Munroe (17-1) overcomes the Spaniard he claimed the crown from last year. Thanks to his coaches at Old Robin Hood ABC, John Whike and former professional Dave 'Sticky' Pratt, who is also Rendall's uncle he decided to box on after becoming disillusioned. Munroe, 28, recalled: "I couldn't get any fights. I kept turning up to box and then discovering that my opponent hadn't turned up. "That's hard to take when you've been training for weeks and I started to lose interest in boxing. "'Sticky' and John told me it would be a waste if I decided to give up. They said I had a talent and should think about turning professional. "I thought about it, spoke to my dad and decided that was the best thing for me to do. Also on the bill Derby's Scott Haywood (19-2) challenges WBC ranked number six light welterweight Ajose Olusegun (25-0) for the Commonwealth title. The show also marks the professional debut of Olympic bronze medallist Tony Jeffries who boxes Belarusian Aliaksandr Vayavoda (5-12) in a light-heavyweight four rounder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home