Monday, March 02, 2009

DeGale inspired by Rogan's Victory

James DeGale wants to fight on Martin Rogan's undercard after being blown away by the new Commonwealth heavyweight champion's defeat of Matt Skelton on Saturday. DeGale hailed Belfast hero Rogan as an inspiration following his KO win over the Bedford puncher in Birmingham. The 23-year-old received a mixed reception from some Irish supporters in the crowd, following his semi-final win over Darren Sutherland at the 2008 Olympics. But DeGale says he's looking forward to a possible fight at Kings Hall and converting the fans. "The Irish love their boxing and to fight in Belfast would be an honour," said DeGale. "The atmosphere for a Rogan fight would be absolutely amazing after what he did to Skelton on Saturday. "He's a real warrior and it made me realise what I need to do to make it to the top in professional boxing."My opponent was very negative and it's hard too look good when someone is covering up all the time, but I won every round. "I can't wait for my next fight so I can build on my performance on Saturday. "People only saw a fraction of my potential in Birmingham. There's so much more to come from me, and I was straight back in the gym on Monday morning to work on a few things." Meanwhile DeGale's 2008 Olympic team mates, Frankie Gavin and Billy Joe Saunders are also keen to appear in Ireland following stoppage wins in Birmingham on Saturday. Gavin, also 23, has Irish ancestory with his parents coming from Dublin. "I'd love to fight in Ireland, north or south," said Gavin. "Other than another fight in Birmingham, I can't think of anywhere more I'd like to box next." Saunders, 19, added: "I used to watch tapes of all the great Irish boxers when I starting out as an amateur, and they were a real inspiration."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home