Monday, March 30, 2009

Evans to feature at the York Hall

With a successful pro debut behind him 2008 ABA featherweight champ Bradley Evans believes he’s on the road to title contention in the paid ranks. The Royston man impressed when he made his pro bow in Norwich last month and he’s back in action at the York Hall on April 11th – the scene of last year’s ABA finals success. Evans is part of the undercard to the Craig Watson – John O’Donnell Commonwealth title fight with the Hennessy Sports show live on ITV4. The 19-year-old can’t wait for his first pro fight at the traditional home of British boxing in London’s Bethnal Green. “I always loved boxing at the York Hall as an amateur and I can’t wait to fight there as a pro,” said Evans who picked up the best boxer of the night award at last year’s ABA’s courtesy of his featherweight title triumph. “I should have a good few coming down to support me and I’ll be looking to put on a show for them.” Evans fan club will no doubt be boosted by a recent ITV4 profile surrounding his pro debut. “All my friends saw it and when you’re a new pro starting out it’s great to get exposure like that so that the public can find out a little bit more about you.” The teenager has been handed the ring moniker of “The Buzzsaw” by his trainer Tony Sims but the modest Evans admits that he’s still adjusting to the paid ranks. “Even the fact of fighting without the vest and headguard takes a bit of getting used to. I’m definitely happier as a pro though because it suits my style a lot more. I’m learning so much in the gym and I’ve been sparring with Lenny Daws for this fight. “Lenny has an English title fight with Peter McDonagh on the same card and he’s a real role model for a young pro like me. He’s a fitness fanatic and he trains so hard, he does everything at a crazy pace so I know that if I can keep up with him in training I’m doing something right.” Evans second professional fight is part of an exciting undercard to the Craig Watson – John O’Donnell Commonwealth Welterweight title clash. The chief supporting contest features Lenny Daws and Peter McDonagh in an English Light Welterweight title showdown while Tyson Fury, Steve O’Meara, Bradley Evans, George Hillyard and Stephen Haughian also feature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home