Monday, March 09, 2009

Tobias follows in Uncle Mac's Footsteps

If Tobias Webb needs a few words of advice before his debut next weekend he can call on his uncle - former WBO cruiserweight world champion Enzo Maccarinelli. The 19-year-old amateur star makes his professional bow at the M.E.N Arena on March 14, on the undercard of the Amir Khan-Marco Antonio Barrera showdown, with Uncle Enzo part of the headline attraction of the show when he takes on Ola Afolabi for the Interim WBO title. And the hard-hitting super-middleweight is being backed for glory by his fellow Welshman. "This boy can really fight," said Maccarinelli. "I think punching hard runs in the family because he's even more of a knockout artist than I am. "He's worth keeping an eye on because he's going to be something special. "He did well as an amateur, and if hadn't been for politics, would have got more recognition than he did. "Tobias went to the amateur world championships in 2007 but it was more as a banger than a slick boxer, and he didn't get too far. "But now he's turned into a boxer as well. "He's always had the punch, but in the last year or so he's really developed the skills to go with it. He's the complete package." Webb, who like Enzo comes from Swansea, may move to Birmingham or London to further his ring education, but is currently basing himself in South Wales. "I can't wait for my professional debut," he said. "I've just been waiting on my medicals these last few days, and now they've finally come through. "Watching my uncle Enzo fight as I've been growing up has been a real inspiration, and I've been lucky enough to work with him in the gym and some of the other lads down here who have done really well. "We've had great success with super-middleweights in Wales - and hopefully I can continue that. "I loved being an amateur and boxing around the world, but my heart has always been set on the pro game because it suits my style perfectly."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home