Thursday, March 05, 2009

Glover reacts to Amar's Jibe

Tom Glover has laughed off Adnan Amar’s claims that he will be knocked out inside 5 rounds when they clash for the English Welterweight title in Birmingham on March 14th. The two men go head to head on the undercard of the hotly anticipated British Middleweight title fight between bitter Midlands rivals, Matthew Macklin and Wayne Elcock at the Aston Arena.With ITV4 broadcasting the Hennessy Sports show live Glover believes he can upset Amar in the chief support bout. The Maldon fighter has a record of 6 wins, 5 losses and 3 draws but he believes that the numbers are deceiving. “I’m sure Amar will look at my record and think it’s going to be an easy night. People probably look at my record and think, he’s tough and durable but I can beat him. That’s what my last opponent Scott Woolford thought and I beat him to win the Southern Area title. “My record doesn’t do me any favours but I’ve definitely been the victim of a few hometown decisions in the past.” Glover started his career as a lightweight but he’s now moved up to welterweight and believes that has been crucial to his recent success. “I started my career at lightweight but looking back I don’t know how I made the weight. I’m much more comfortable at welterweight, I’m bigger, stronger and I’m punching a lot harder at welter as well.” Glover is hoping that taking the English title from Amar will bring the bricklayer a step closer to becoming a full time pro. “When you’re working all week it’s tough to fit in going to the gym and doing your roadwork but mentally it makes you hungrier. It’s big fights like this that really motivate me because I know a win would take my career to a new level. “It’s a huge chance for me so I’ve trained extra hard for it. I sparred with Jon Thaxton recently to prepare for the fight and that was enjoyable and a good learning experience for me. Jon used to train with the Ingles so he has a similar style to Amar. “I’ve watched him on TV before and also saw him live so I know his style. He’s a flashy switch hitter who likes to box at range. In his only loss he was outworked and worn down and I believe I can do the same. He’s been inactive of late as well and I think I can take advantage of that. “His prediction doesn’t bother me, in fact I’m hoping he does under estimate me and see it as an easy fight. If he’s complacent then he’ll be in for a big shock on the night.” Also appearing on “The Battle of Brum” undercard at the Aston Arena, Birmingham on the 14th of March is heavyweight sensation, Tyson Fury alongside Eddie O’Rourke, Chris Male, Quinton Hillocks and Callum Archer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home