Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Maccarinelli in Tip Top Shape

Enzo Maccarinelli has revealed his secret weapon ahead of his interim WBO World Cruiserweight title challenge - a dozen beer barrels. But unfortunately for opponent Ola Afolabi, the Welshman hasn't been downing them in training, merely using them to improve his strength and conditioning. Balancing the half-full kegs above his ahead has helped to increase his core muscle power, as has beating car tyres over and over again with a sledgehammer. It was a technique that Big Macc used before his last fight, a two-round demolition of heavyweight Matthew Ellis.
And now he is hoping it will help him to victory over highly dangerous Afolabi at the M.E.N Arena on the big Amir Khan-Marco Antonio Barrera card in Manchester on March 14.
"I've tried lifting weights before but it's not really my kind of thing," said 28-year-old Maccarinelli, who is 29-2 (22). "So when a pal of mine suggested something a bit different I jumped at the chance. "It's a bit tempting to crack open one of the barrels after a hard day's training, but I'll leave that until after the fight. "I'm desperate to get in the ring and take out all my frustrations on Afolabi. "2008 was a bit of a disaster after I lost to David Haye and then couldn't win back my old WBO title. "But 2009 is going to be my time. I hear that Afolabi is a bit of a nightmare and very dangerous, but that's just what I want. "I want to face the best and beat the best, so as far as I'm concerned bring on the 14th. I am going to unleash hell once I get between those ropes."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home