Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cleverly steps in for Brook

Rising star Kell Brook has withdrawn from his British Welterweight title defence on May 22 at the York Hall after injuring his hand. The Sheffield star, who was aiming to win the Lonsdale belt outright inside 12 months, hurt his hand during a sparring session and after medical examination was advised to pull-out. Brook's challenger was due to be Birmingham's Young Mutley, but he withdrew yesterday after injuring his ribs and the search was on for a new opponent. With Brook now out, Welsh hot-shot Nathan Cleverly will now headline the Frank Warren promotion with a defence of his Commonwealth Light-Heavyweight crown. The unbeaten 22-year-old, who is studying for a Mathematics degree at Cardiff University, is undefeated in 15 fights with five knockouts. His last two title defences have ended in knockout wins. Cleverly said, "I was disappointed to hear that Kell was injured, he's a good fighter and I was looking forward to putting my feet up and watching him on TV in a few weeks time, "When I got the call asking if I was fit and ready and could I box on May 22, I jumped at the chance, "I was due to fight next on the Amir Khan undercard at the 02 Arena in June but I really fancied getting back in the ring sooner so it was a great opportunity, "I'm always in training and try to keep close to my fighting weight so I don't have to lose too much when I start training." "It's going to be a busy year for me and I'm desperate to get a shot at the British title." Cleverly's challenger will be announced shortly. The York Hall undercard will remain the same and features Kevin Mitchell, Derek Chisora, Stephen Smith, Vinny Mitchell and Walsh brothers Liam, Michael and Ryan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home