Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Gavin sets sights on British Title

Red-hot prospect Frankie Gavin has vowed to match the achievements of girlfriend Ria - by winning a British title. Ria landed the All-Britain Club Championship in 2006 with her Birmingham based Gaelic football team, John Mitchels. And Gavin says he wants to do the same in a boxing ring by the end of next year. "It's every boxer's dream to win a Lonsdale belt," said the 23-year-old, who will make his second professional appearance at the Odyssey Arena, Belfast, on May 15. "Ria has got her own British title, I want one even more as well. "She keeps asking me when I'm going to bring home a British title to match hers, and it's really spurring me on. "Within 18 months or so I'm going to be ready to fight for the British title." Gavin, who got his pro career off to the perfect start in February when he stopped George Kadaria in Birmingham, has Irish heritage, with both his parents hailing from the Emerald Isle. And even though he speaks with a broad Birmingham accent, he still feels a strong link to Ireland - including a passion for Gaelic football. "I've been looking at all the fixtures seeing if I can sneak in a match when I'm over in Belfast," said Gavin, who became Britain's first amateur world champion in 2007 when he took lightweight gold in Chicago. "Obviously boxing comes first, but if there's a game on after my fight on May 15 then I'll be there with the best seats in the house."I've played a few games over in England and it's a tough, tough sport - but I love it. "We're always watching it on television at home, and if I hadn't been a boxer then it's definitely a sport I'd have played regularly." Gavin's appearance on May 15 will see him joined by his fellow 2008 Olympians, James DeGale and Billy Joe Saunders. Martin Rogan's Commonwealth heavyweight title defence against Sam Sexton will top the bill at the Odyssey Arena, while there is also an exciting Irish title fight between Neil Sinclair and Henry Coyle. Also on the card, Michael Jennings returns to action in an eight rounder following his brave WBO world title challenge against Miguel Cotto, while local stars Scott Belshaw, Kevin O'Hara, Ciaran Healy and Luke Wilton also feature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home