Wednesday, April 01, 2009

McDonagh ready for Daws

Peter McDonagh believes that his topsy turvy career is back on the rise ahead of his English Light Welterweight title clash with Lenny Daws at the York Hall, London on April 11th. The bout is the chief support to the eagerly awaited Commonwealth title decider between John O’Donnell and Craig Watson on a Hennessy Sports event which is live on ITV4. McDonagh however expects to steal the show just as he did on his last appearance on ITV4 in December. On that occasion the Bermondsey fighter ended the unbeaten run of Lee Purdy to claim the Southern Area title in one of the domestic fights of 2008. Now McDonagh is promising more fireworks by shocking Daws and staking his claim for a British title shot. "I took the Purdy fight on short notice,” revealed the 31-year-old. “I knew I could beat him on experience alone but for this one I’ve had plenty of notice and I’ve never been in better shape. In this game you’re only as good as your last fight but I believe I’ve found that little bit extra now. “I’m more relaxed in my boxing, my training couldn’t have gone any better and I’ve felt great in sparring. I’ve been up to Manchester to do weight training with Kerry Kayes and I’m feeling a lot stronger up at light welterweight. I never had any problems making lightweight but I realise now that it was sapping me of my strength.” McDonagh is coming off two of the best wins of his career having defeated Canadian based Romanian prospect, Constantin Florescu in Ontario last September prior to the Purdy win. “I took that fight in Canada to see if I still had it. I knew it would be a tough one because he was a good, strong kid and the fight was up at welterweight but I knew it was a make or break one for me. I got the right result over there and then the Purdy fight came along and I knew I’d know far too much for him. In fact he’s lucky I only had 2 weeks notice for that one!” However McDonagh knows he will have to raise his game yet again to get past former British champ Daws. “Lenny’s a very good fighter and I’m certainly not looking past him. He’s been saying that I’ve never fought in his class and he’s going to stop me but people forget that I’ve been in with some top guys and I beat Michael Gomez before he went on to put Amir Khan on the floor. “I’m really focused and out to do the business for this one and I think Daws is going to be shocked at my power and endurance. I believe if I win this fight I’ll have earned a shot at the British title or even the European title. I’ve been a pro for 7 years now and never ducked anyone so I think if I can get past Daws then I deserve a crack at British or European honours.” Daws and McDonagh’s English title clash is the chief support to the Craig Watson – John O’Donnell Commonwealth Welterweight title fight at the York Hall on April 11th. The exciting undercard also features heavyweight sensation Tyson Fury, hot prospect Bradley Evans, crowd pleasing light middleweight George Hillyard and Irish Welterweight champ, Stephen Haughian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home