Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Burns to battle with Foster Jnr

Ricky Burns and Steve Foster Jnr will meet for the Commonwealth super-featherweight title at the Bellahouston Sports Centre, Glasgow, on June 19. The fight pitches two of the country's hottest talents at 9'4 against each other, with the winner looking to press on and tackle British champion Kevin Mitchell. Sky Sports televise live, with former WBO World Super Featherweight champion Alex Arthur returning to action on the undercard in an eight rounder as he looks to make an immediate impact at lightweight. "I'm gradually cleaning up domestically," said 26-year-old Burns, who makes the third defence of his Commonwealth strap. "I beat Michael Gomez in my last fight, and after I've done the business against Steve Foster Jnr I'm going after Mitchell, who has been running from me for years, and Nicky Cook. "This time last year people were telling me that I'm not a puncher, but I've won my last two inside the distance and I'm going to be handing out some more pain to Foster on June 19. "I'm aiming to send out a mesage to Mitchell, and to do that I need to knock Foster out, and that's what is going to happen." But former WBO world title challenger Foster, 28, hit back by saying: "Burns got lucky by beating up on a faded Michael Gomez. "But I feel really fresh and I'm punching harder than ever. "Last time I came to Scotland I nearly knocked out Alex Arthur - this time around there will be no mistake. "I'm going after Burns from the start, and his style won't hurt me. I'm going to take that title away from him to make up for the disappointment against Arthur." Meanwhile Arthur tops an action-packed undercard loaded with local talent including Gary McMillan, Santino Caruana, Craig Windsor, Paddy Pollock, Tobias Webb and Kris Hughes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home