Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Burns keeps tabs on Martinez

Commonwealth super-featherweight champion Ricky Burns has had enough of Kevin Mitchell - and wants WBO champion Rocky Martinez instead. The Scottish slickster makes the third defence of his title at the Bellahouston Sports Centre in Glasgow on Friday night against Kevin O'Hara. Sky Sports televise live. And if he wins he is hoping he will improve his WBO rating - and get a straight shot at Martinez. "I want Mitchell but if he's not up for the scrap then I want Martinez," said 26-year-old Burns. "I'm ranked number four by the WBO at the moment, so I could be in line for a crack at Martinez without having to go through Mitchell first. "And I'm really confident that I could beat Martinez - in fact, I'd run rings around him. "I was impressed with the way in which he dealt Nicky Cook, but Cook was winning that fight until he got caught with a good punch. "I wouldn't make the same kind of mistake against Martinez, and I'd love to get him over to Scotland and box his head off. "We had a Scottish WBO super-featherweight champion in Alex Arthur, and I can bring that title back here if I'm given my opportunity. "I've got two defeats on my record, but people forget that when I lost to Arthur and Carl Johanneson I was young and inexperienced. "In the last couple of years I've really come on, and I've improved so much in my last six or seven fights."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home