Thursday, June 04, 2009

Maccarinelli ready for Russian Invasion

Former WBO World Cruiserweight champion is set to star on the silver screen - but says he'll trump his acting debut with a dramatic KO win over Denis Lebedev. And he reckons his road back to the top is going to be so exciting, one day people will be making a movie about him. The big Welshman is back in action on June 27 at London's O2 Arena, tackling Russian prospect Lebedev for the WBO Intercontinental cruiserweight crown. Promoter Frank Warren - who is responsible for the careers of both boxers - is confident of handing the winner a world title opportunity. Maccarinelli is looking to get his career back on track following a shock loss in March, and after a miserable 12 months says his fortunes are now looking up. He's been helped by landing a role in a forthcoming biopic about Welsh legend Howard Winstone. Big Macc will play former British and Commonwealth light-heavyweight champion Eddie Avoth in "Risen", which will have its premier in Wales next year. And he'll be joined on screen by other boxing stars including Alan Minter and Steve Robinson, as well as Avoth, who also has a part in the film. "It was great fun filming, and I heard some fantastic stories about some of the characters involved in the sport back in the 1950s and 1960s," said Maccarinelli. "It was an honour to be playing Eddie, and I wouldn't mind giving acting a bash when I retire from boxing. But that day is a long time away. "I've had a miserable 12 months, losing to David Haye and then Ola Afolabi, but I'm determined to get back on track. "It was good to spend a bit of time away from the gym because it gave me my hunger back. "Lebedev is a very, very tough fight, but if I win it then I'll have a great chance to get back to the top. "It's even more dangerous than the Haye fight because if I lost against David, then there was always a way back. "If I lose against Lebedev then it's going to be that much tougher to make it to the top. "You can never say never in boxing, but I'm aware that I could be in the last chance saloon going into this one. "But I'm going to knock out Lebedev and then I'm going to get my old world title back. "Rocky is the most famous boxing film in history, but my story is going to be even more dramatic over the next six months."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home