Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mitchell back with Avengance

Red-hot talent Kevin Mitchell is confident of getting a world title shot - but knows he could miss out if he doesn't perform on July 18. The Dagenham Destroyer is closing in on a crack at WBO World super-featherweight world champion Roman Martinez. But first he has to come through an eight rounder on the undercard of Amir Khan's WBA World Light-Welterweight title challenge against Andreas Kotelnik on July 18 at the M.E.N Arena. It will given unbeaten Mitchell an opportunity to spend more time in the ring following a year-long absence with a hand injury. The 24-year-old British champion returned to action in May, winning comfortably at York Hall. And now his sights are firmly set on fulfilling his childhood ambitions and becoming a world champion. "I used to go to bed at night and dream about lifting a world title," said Mitchell. "It's so close now I can touch it. "But instead of dreams, I now have nightmares about missing out on my big chance before I even get it. "Losing in an eight rounder would be an absolute disaster for me, and the thought of it makes me get up in the morning and do my road work at 6am and train harder than ever before." Mitchell was ringside when Martinez captured the title against Nicky Cook, Mitchell's gym-mate, in Manchester in March. And he's vowing to avenge that defeat on behalf of his close friend. "I know Nicky is desperate for another world title fight," said Mitchell. "But the next best thing for him would be me beating Martinez. "Nine times out of 10, Nicky would have done a job on him, but he just got a bit careless and got caught. "It shows how dangerous Martinez can be, and if I do get to fight him I will have to be on my guard. "But I feel really strong now, and after an operation on my hand I'm punching harder than ever before and I'm ready to win that world title in style."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home