Monday, June 29, 2009

O'Meara in Title Contention

Steve O’Meara admits he’s tickled pink at the thought of getting himself into title contention. The unbeaten Londoner has become easily identifiable to fight fans courtesy of his pink boxing shorts and a string of impressive performances that have seen him record 8 straight wins. O’Meara will have his ninth pro fight at the York Hall, Bethnal Green on July 18th in what will be his first scheduled 8 rounder as he builds towards a planned Southern Area title fight in the Autumn. The Hennessy Sports event is live on ITV4 and headlined by the British Light Heavyweight title fight between Danny McIntosh and Nathan Cleverly with O’Meara in action on the undercard. The Wembley based fighter however has revealed that he may not be decked out in pink this time around! “I’m thinking of getting new shorts made up for this fight,” said O’Meara. “The pink ones have certainly got me noticed but I’m getting a bit of stick from my mates over them so we’ll see. They’ve brought me good luck so far though so maybe I should stick with them!” O’Meara is hopeful that an impressive win next month could catapult him into a Southern Area title shot. “Every boxer gets into this sport to fight for titles and I’m no different. The Southern Area title is a great stepping stone title and can lead on to bigger and better things so I’d love to fight for it. “I make light middleweight comfortably and I think I could do welterweight as well so I’d take a shot at either weight if it came my way. That’s definitely something I want on my record in the next few fights but I need to get over July 18th first.” The 25-year-old is also eyeing a possible Irish title shot courtesy of his Irish roots. “My parents are Irish so I’m eligible to fight for the Irish title and I know it would make my family really proud if I won that belt so that’s another option for me.” O’Meara who has previously worked as a model has given up his job as a Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor to concentrate fully on his boxing career. “I was spending all my time in a gym either through work or boxing and I think it meant I wasn’t as focused as I could be. I’m training full time now so when I’m in the gym I’m there for my boxing and nothing else and I can really notice the difference.” A clash of unbeaten fighters tops the bill at the York Hall on July 18th with Danny McIntosh and Nathan Cleverly squaring off for the British Light Heavyweight title. The undercard features former British and European Champion Jon Thaxton alongside unbeaten Heavyweight sensation Tyson Fury and Ireland’s European Union Lightweight Champion Andy Murray. Hot prospects Steve O’Meara, Dwayne Lewis, Bradley Evans, Del Rogers and Bobby Ward also feature on an action packed night of championship boxing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home