Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Kell Brook seeks out Michael Jennings

Rising star Kell Brook may now be the proud owner of a Lonsdale belt outright - but he says he's still got work to do on the domestic scene. And the 23-year-old British welterweight champion is demanding a showdown with former world title challenger Michael Jennings before the year is out. Brook continued his stunning run of KO wins on Saturday night at the M.E.N Arena when he blasted out Michael Lomax inside three rounds. It meant the Sheffield sensation - who is living up to his Special K nickname - got a Lonsdale belt for keeps after completing just nine rounds in British title fights. Now Brook is targeting a clash with Jennings, who unsuccessfully challenged Miguel Cotto in New York earlier this year for the WBO world title and is a former British and WBU champion. "I believe I am the best in the country, but I can't say that for sure until I've beaten Jennings," said Brook. "He's a good fighter and I've been a fan of his for a while, but I'll be too quick and too strong for him and he's going to become another knockout on my record. "It's the fight everyone wants to see, and I've told my promoter Frank Warren that it's the one that I want, and I'll be bugging him until I get it. "When I get Jennings in the ring I plan on doing a better job on him than Cotto. "It took him five rounds to stop Jennings, but I reckon I can do it in three and send a message out to all the other welterweight contenders that I'm the man they need to be worried about. "I had two dreams as a youngster - the first was winning the Lonsdale belt outright, and the second was winning a world title. "I'm half way there and within 18 months I know that I'm going to have achieved the second half of my ambitions as well."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home