Monday, August 17, 2009

Clever move for Cleverly

Rising star Nathan Cleverly is aiming for an explosive performance to keep in the public eye as he heads up an exciting under-card in Belfast on October 9. The 22-year-old will defend his Commonwealth light-heavyweight crown in his Irish debut as chief support to Martin Rogan and Sam Sexton's grudge fight for the Commonwealth heavyweight title Clev, who has been nominated for this year's prestigious Boxing Writers' Young Boxer of the Year, is aiming for win number 18 at the Odyssey Arena. The Welsh maths wizard has been in spectacular form in the last few months, adding the British title to his collection in July with a stunning stoppage win over Danny McIntosh. Cleverly's challenger will be name shortly, but he says he'll KO whoever is in the opposite corner. "I feel like I'm on fire at the moment," he said. "I know Clinton Woods is fighting for a world title, but I reckon I am the best light-heavyweight in the country and I'd love to fight him, anytime. "I have won my last four fights by stoppage, and I'm going to make it five out of five on October 9 and really put myself in the spotlight. "People will see the best of me the more I fight, and appearing regularly is really bringing out the best in me. "Ireland has some of the most passionate fans in the world, and I can't wait to show everyone over there what I'm made of. "By this time next year I want to have moved on to the world stage, and I am so confident that I will get there." Joining Cleverly on the card will be former British welterweight champion and current Irish light-middleweight king Neil Sinclair, who appears in an eight rounder. His fellow Ulsterman Kevin O'Hara will also be boxing, along with Ciaran Healy, super-middleweight prospect Joe Rea and flyweight debutant Jamie Conlan. Tickets, priced at £25 (tier), £30 (tier), £40 (central tier), £60 (floor), £100 (floor) and £150 (ringside) are available from: Odyssey Arena Box Office 02890 739 074 www.odysseyarena.com Ticketmaster
0870 243 4455 www.ticketmaster.ie Frank Warren Promotions 01992 550 888 www.frankwarren.tv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home