Friday, August 07, 2009

Fury in showdown with McDermott

Undefeated heavyweight sensation Tyson Fury says he’s counting down the days to his first title fight – an English title showdown with “Big Bad” John McDermott on September 11th. The 6 foot 9 inch heavyweight sensation is undefeated in 7 pro fights with all 7 wins coming via knockout and he’s determined to maintain that perfect KO streak against McDermott. A back injury had hampered Fury’s preparations ahead of his most recent outing in London last month but the 21-year-old says he’s fighting fit ahead of his date with McDermott. “My backs 100% again now and I’ve been working very hard in the gym. I’m really fired up for this, it’s my first title fight and I want to win it in style.” Fury will challenge for McDermott’s belt after promoter Frank Maloney submitted the winning purse bid to stage the fight. The bid is believed to be a record for an English title fight demonstrating just how big an impact Fury has made in British boxing since turning pro last December. The Hennessy Sports promoted Fury says he has no problems fighting in his opponent’s back yard on a rival promoter’s event. “It will make a nice change for Frank Maloney to finally have a decent heavyweight on one of his shows. I’ve watched some of the big lumps he’s had on his shows recently and its like watching Dumbo on Ice, they can barely stand upright, let alone throw punches. “To be fair to John McDermott he’s the best of a bad lot with Maloney’s heavyweights and thankfully for him he can fight a lot better than he looks.” Maloney recently criticised Fury saying that he had a big mouth but Fury says he’s ready, willing and able to back up his big talk. “That’s the difference between me and a lot of these other guys. I might talk the talk but I walk the walk as well and I’ll prove that against McDermott. “Maloney obviously believes that McDermott can beat me but I think that just proves what I said before, what Maloney knows about heavyweights could be tattooed on the back of my big toe.” The latest venue mooted for the bout is the Brentwood Centre in Essex but Fury says he’s not fussed where the fight takes place. “They keep changing the venue, first it was the York Hall, then it was Crystal Palace and now I’ve been told it’s moved again to Brentwood but they can put it on in McDermott’s back garden as far as I’m concerned, the result will be the same anyway. I’m going to be coming home with that English title belt.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home