Thursday, July 23, 2009

Froch brushes Dirrell to One Side

WBC Super Middleweight Champion Carl Froch has laughed off any suggestions that unbeaten American star Andre Dirrell has got under his skin ahead of their opening round Super Six clash in Nottingham on October 17th. Dirrell boasted yesterday that Froch would be his “easiest fight” in the groundbreaking new series which also includes WBA champ Mikkel Kessler, IBF Middleweight champ Arthur Abraham, former Undisputed Middleweight title holder Jermain Taylor and Olympic Gold medallist Andre Ward. Froch will enjoy home advantage for the bout at the Trent FM Arena in Nottingham with tickets for the event going on sale next week and he says all the pressure will be on Dirrell to back up his words when he arrives in the U.K. “I’ve heard all that kind of talk before so it doesn’t bother me,” said Froch. “It’s Dirrell who has to worry about backing up that big talk. I actually believe he’s quite nervous about the series so he’s trying to talk himself up. When he turned up at the media tour last week I think the realisation of what he’d got himself into actually hit home and I think he was a little overawed by the occasion. “If he’s nervous getting his photo taken alongside the likes of World Champions like myself and Mikkel Kessler how’s he going to feel when he actually has to step into the ring with us? “He’s got a decent amateur pedigree and he's done well as a pro so far but he’s about to step up to a whole new level now. Most of the other guys in this tournament are proven, elite level fighters but Dirrell is still untested so it’s up to him to prove he belongs at this level. “He's unbeaten obviously so he has that confidence and mentality of a fighter who doesn't believe they can be beaten but he's forgetting that I'm unbeaten as well so I have that same confidence and mentality.” Dirrell has accused Froch of being too slow and easy to hit but the Nottingham man has watched Dirrell in action and says he sees nothing to worry him. “I've watched a couple of rounds of him in action and to be honest I’ve seen enough to know what he’s about. I'm not going to lose too much sleep over him. I'll let him worry about me. He's the guy doing all the talking and he's the guy who has to come to my back yard and take my title so he's the one with things to worry about. “He's got fast hands but I don’t see any evidence that he’s a big puncher. He likes to switch hit, changing from southpaw to orthodox but I'll find his weak side and bash him up. Let’s see how he reacts with being taken into the trenches. I’m sure we’ll learn a lot more about him then.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home