Thursday, October 08, 2009

Saunders to face Spitko at York Hall

2008 Olympian Billy Joe Saunders has vowed to tame the man known as Pitbull when he makes his London debut at York Hall on Friday night. Saunders takes on prospect-killer Alex Spitko, who has already scalped four unbeaten fighters, live on Sky Sports. The Mansfield-based Latvian has taken on a string of big names in his pro career, and has earned himself the nickname Pitbull. But Saunders has promised a dogged performance - and reckons his opponent's bark will be worse than his bite. "Spitko looks a dangerous fighter and he's mixed in good company," said the 20-year-old. "He'll be coming to knock me out because I'm getting the big build up and I went to the Olympics. "I really hope that he does come with that attitude because it will bring out the best in me. "I've looked at his record and he has beaten four prospects, two of them in the first round, so I can't take him lightly at all. "But I've stopped my first three opponents and I'm looking for another KO victory on Friday night." Saunders turned professional earlier this year, and has won each of his fights in the second round, including his last outing, in Manchester in July. "I just want to keep busy and it's great to be fighting so soon again," said the Hatfield traveler. "I've always dreamed about fighting at York Hall as a professional, and it's fantastic to be getting an opportunity to do so. I don't think the fans will be going home disappointed." But Spitko, 23, warned him: "I love exposing prospects and I'm coming to take away Billy Joe's unbeaten record." Saunders' fight against Spitko will form part of the undercard to Nathan Cleverly's British and Commonwealth light-heavyweight title defence against Courtney Fry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home