Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sexton Holds Back the Years

Commonwealth heavyweight champion Sam Sexton has vowed to show no respect to his elders - and knock out "grandad" Martin Rogan on November 6. And the Norwich puncher says that after he has dealt with the Belfast favourite he'll turn his attention to the other old men of the domestic scene, Danny Williams and Audley Harrison. But first he must get past Rogan, whom he meets in an explosive rematch at the Odyssey Arena, Belfast, following their controversial first fight. Sexton, 25, insists that age will be key to victory when he goes for win number two."Martin keeps going on about how he feels like Peter Pan, but you've got to go with youth in this fight," said Sexton. "I made Rogan look like an old man the first time I met him and he hasn't stopped moaning like one since. "Let's face it, he's nearly 40 and once I've dealt with him the best thing for him to do will be retire and go to the park and feed the pigeons. "I'll run rings around him in Belfast and he won't be able to keep up. "I usually like to show respect to people who are older to me, but Rogan's been doing my head in with all his griping about the first fight, so I can't wait to shut him up. This time I'll make sure he can't say a word by knocking him out."Sexton was ahead on the scorecards in his first clash with Rogan when the fight was stopped because of the Irishman's badly swollen eye. This time there is even more on the line because the winner is in line for a shot at Danny Williams' British title - and the Commonwealth Champion insists it will be him. "For years the domestic scene has been dominated by fighters in their 30s, but right now there's a new generation coming through and I'm leading the pack," said Sexton. "In boxing terms, Martin is a grandad and he'll need his pipe and slippers after I've given him a beating. After I've sent him packing I'll finish off Williams once and for all, and then shut up Audley as well." Tickets, priced at £25 (tier), £30 (tier), £40 (central tier), £60 (floor), £100 (floor) and £150 (ringside) are available from: Odyssey Arena Box Office
02890 739 074 www.odysseyarena.com Ticketmaster 0844 277 4455 http://www.ticketmaster.ie/ Frank Warren Promotions 01992 550 888 http://www.frankwarren.tv/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home