Friday, November 20, 2009

Mac is Back to Fight Setbacks

Former WBO World Cruiserweight king Enzo Maccarinelli is on his third and final mission to reclaim his world title. The big-hitting Welshman lost his crown last year to David Haye, but the Swansea puncher is aiming for a fresh start on December 5 in Newcastle when he fights in a six rounder on the undercard of Amir Khan's clash with Dmitriy Salita. And he reckons that by this time next year he's going to back in title contention."After my last fight against Denis Lebedev there was talk of me retiring," said Enzo. "I had a long think about where my career was going, but I've got my hunger back now. "Being a world champion meant a lot to me and it hurt so much losing my world title. "There's no way that I'll quit before I win it back, and the plan is to have a couple of warm up fights before stepping up to championship level in 2010. "There were a few things that weren't right in the ring against Lebedev and it wasn't a question of me not being good enough, I just didn't fight the right fight. "But I know that I've still got a lot left to offer and I've been really buzzing in the gym these last few months." Maccarinelli, 29, still has a formidable 29-4 (22) record and believes he'll be back to his old self in the north east. "I've had a nightmare 18 months or so, but it's time for a fresh start," he said. "My mind was getting too cluttered but people are going to be seeing an old school Enzo up in Newcastle and I'll be back to my knockout best."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home