Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Mitchell in hunt for Australia's Katsidis

Kevin Mitchell says he wants Aussie power-house Michael Katsidis. Mitchell will make the first defence of his WBO Intercontinental lightweight title on Frank Warren's blockbuster show at Wembley Arena on February 13, following a faultless performance over Amir Khan conqueror Breidis Prescott earlier this month. And the Dagenham Destroyer knows that victory could pave the way for a clash with the WBO Interim champ Katsidis, who may even have the full WBO belt before long if current champion Juan Manuel Marquez decides to vacate. Katsidis was last seen on these shores in 2007 in a barnstormer against Mitchell's former gym-mate Graham Earl. "I'm ready for Katsidis right now," stormed 25-year-old Mitchell. "He's a great fighter and he's well known in the UK after his war against Graham Earl a few years ago. "He is a dangerous opponent, but when my bombs start landing I'm going to be even more dangerous for him. "He can crack a bit but I can take a better shot than Earl and I can hit harder as well. "If I stand in front of Katsidis and have a war I'll beat him, but I can out box him as well and do a proper job on him just like I did against Prescott. "Everyone said that was going to be a tough fight and I was going to get knocked out, but I made it look easy in there and I'll do the same against Katsidis. "I showed against Prescott that I belong at world level, and by the summer I want that world title wrapped around my waist." Mitchell, who will be facing a world-rated opponent on February 13 when he headlines the card and is currently ranked number one by the WBO, already has his sights set on a world title chance by May. "I can't take anything for granted in this next fight, but ideally I'd like to face Katsidis early in the summer," he said. "He's been to the UK before and I'm sure he'll come here again, but unlike last time he won't be going home with the title. Earl had him rocking early on and let him off the hook, but I'll wallop him good and proper."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home