Thursday, June 10, 2010

McDermott in grudge Rematch

JOHN MCDERMOTT has laughed off Tyson Fury’s claims that he will knock him out in their rematch. Manchester Romany gypsy Fury (10-0) risks his English heavyweight title against the Essex man (25-6) at The Brentwood Centre on Friday June 25 in a contest that also doubles as a final eliminator for the British title. Fury was a controversial points winner when they clashed last September and is confident of winning inside the distance this time. McDermott was stopped in the first round by Matt Skelton in December 2005, but had serious family problems at the time. He said: ““I wasn’t right when I boxed Matt Skelton and it took me a long time to get back from that and I was questioning myself. “Nobody knows what was going on then and if they did then they would accept what happened in the ring that night.” Since then McDermott hasn’t been down in nine contests and taken Danny Williams’ shots flush on the chin for 24 rounds. He added: “I boxed Danny Williams twice. I took some tremendous punches, so I have no worries about my chin. “Fury is supposed to be a fantastic puncher, but his shots never bothered me at all. Everything he threw I just walked through and I bashed him myself.” In a big clash of prospects Southern Area heavyweight champion Larry ‘The War Machine’ Olubamiwo meets North Shields Dave Ferguson (12-2) in a British heavyweight title eliminator. Other heavyweight bruisers on the bill includes Olympic bronze medallist David Price (6-0), Tom Dallas (10-0) and much talked about debutant Dillian ‘The Villain’ Whyte. Also boxing on Maloney’s latest knockout show is are Ashley Sexton (9-0-1), Menay Edwards (3-0), Tony Hill (4-1) and Lewis Pettit (1-0).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home