Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Trinidad and Jones Talk the Talk

Eight-time world champion Roy Jones Jr. visited the home of five-time world champion Felix “Tito” Trinidad for a press conference at Coliseo Roberto Clemente in San Juan, Puerto Rico on Thursday (Dec. 6). While both boxers have been good sportsmen at previous media tour stops in New York and Los Angeles, the emotion of being on his native island caused Trinidad to sharpen his words towards Jones concerning their Jan. 19 showdown at Madison Square Garden and on HBO Pay-Per-View. Trinidad became very serious at the end of the media-packed press conference, striking the podium and telling his interpreter to translate what he had to say in English because he wanted to make sure Jones would hear him. “Roy, I am telling you this and I am serious this time,” Trinidad said. “Every time I hit you it’s going to hurt. I think Roy has a bad memory when he says he’s going to win in four rounds. What are you going to do when I knock you out in the second round, Roy?” Jones responded, “Tito’s got to go in fo. He’s doing a lot of talking now. He’s got a big mouth. That’s a bad sign.” Roy Jones Jr.: “I love Puerto Rico. It’s a great place. I’ve got to give credit to Miguel Cotto for his performance against Shane Mosley. He came out and out-boxed the boxer. Watching the Cotto-Mosley fight caused me to go home and tighten up all of my bolts and screws because Tito comes from the same place Cotto does so I’ve got to be on the top of my game. “I love to fight. Tito is a great world champion who loves to fight. We are going to both come to fight on January 19 at Madison Square Garden. Fans don’t want to see a boring fight. They want to see somebody’s ass hit the grass. “I’m going to take Tito down in four. He must go in fo.” Felix “Tito” Trinidad: “It’s great to be on my island. Roy Jones and I are donating money from our purses to help fight breast cancer and that is a good thing. “I want all of my friends and fans who know I have been out of the ring for over two years to know that I am a clean person. I don’t smoke or drink so my body has been responding well to the conditioning for my return to the ring. I am very happy with my performance in training. I want to tell my fans once again that I am fine. I am ready. And I will do fine on January 19. “Roy Jones is a great eight-time champion of the world. He’s been a great champion and was undefeated for many years. He stepped up to heavyweight and beat John Ruiz. All of this is true but on Jan. 19, Roy Jones, you will have the toughest fight of your life. Every time I come into the ring I come to fight. I come with only one bag into the ring, the bag of hitting you. The bag of getting hit I left at home. “I’m very sure Madison Square Garden will be sold out. You [Roy] will see a Boriqua Tito punching Roy Jones around the ring. I want you to be prepared Roy because every time I hit you, you’re going to feel it. I want my translator to say this in English because I want him to understand what I am about to say. Roy, I’m telling you this and I am serious this time. Every time I hit you it’s going to hurt. “I think Roy has a bad memory when he says he’s going to win in four rounds. What are you going to do when I knock you out in the second round, Roy?” Roy Jones Jr.: “Tito’s got to go in fo. He’s doing a lot of talking now. He’s got a big mouth. That’s a bad sign.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home