Thursday, January 24, 2008

Jones Jr Ready for Action

An ebullient Roy Jones Jr., energized by his dominating, unanimous-decision win over Felix “Tito” Trinidad at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night, says he is ready to take on all comers in the light heavyweight or super middleweight divisions and beyond. “I told you Roy Jones Jr. is back,” Jones said after his triumph over Trinidad where he twice sent the Puerto Rican legend to the canvas. “I’ll take the winner of either the re-match between Kelly Pavlik and Jermain Taylor or Joe Calzaghe vs. Bernard Hopkins. I’m even willing to go down to 156 pounds to face Oscar De La Hoy in May. Line them up and I’ll knock them down.” Jones (52-4, 38 KOs) surprised some longtime boxing scribes who didn’t believe he could still muster the skills that made him one of the best and most feared boxers in the history of the sport. Jones showed flashes against Trinidad on Saturday of his rare combination of speed and power that put him atop the lists of pound-for-pound best fighter in the world for a decade. “I always said that with the right motivation and focus I can still be Superman. I saw it in the gym leading up to the fight and Tito Trinidad and everybody else saw it on Saturday night at the Garden. Like I said, line ‘em up and I’ll knock them down.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home