Saturday, March 15, 2008

Campbell is on Khan's Hit list

Amir Khan has congratualted new lightweight world champion Nate Campbell on beating Juan Diaz - but has warned him he is coming to get his titles. Campbell pulled off a major shock when he out-pointed Diaz in Mexico at the weekend to land the WBC, WBO and WBA crowns. And Khan says he'd be keen on a fight with the top American. "No one gave Campbell much of a chance, so it's a great acheivement to have beaten Diaz and won those belts," said the 21-year-old from Bolton. "But I don't think I'm too far off fighting the likes of Campbell - and hopefully by the end of the year I'll be challenging for the titles."He's a great fighter, but at the end of the day I want to test myself against the best. "I'm improving every day in the gym, and I'm punching much harder now than I was just six months ago. "I just need a little bit more experience and then I'll be ready for anyone in the world. I went 12 hard rounds in my last fight, and that's given loads more confidence." Khan, unbeaten in 16 fights, put on a punch perfect display last time out in taking every round against former world champion Gairy St Clair in a defence of his Commonwealth belt. Next time out he tackles Martin Kristjansen at the Bolton Arena, Bolton, on April 5 in an eliminator for the WBO World title. With Khan already highly ranked by the WBO, and Kristjansen the current number two, victory will see him move a step closer a mandatory shot at either Campbell, or interim WBO champion Michael Katsidis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home