Monday, September 22, 2008

Burns Night at the York Hall

Scottish slickster Ricky Burns will aim to land the Commonwealth super-featherweight title next Friday when he tackles Ghana's Osumana Akaba at the York Hall. Burns, 25, will look to win a title previously held by fellow countryman Alex Arthur - and has promised an explosive display in front of the Sky television cameras. Beaten just twice in 25 fights, the Coatbridge star knows that he will have to be at his best against a man who comes from the boxing hot-bed of Accra."I've been waiting for a championship fight for the last year, and I'm raring to go," said Burns. "I've had a look at Akaba's record and he looks like a really tough opponent, so I know I might have to go into the trenches. "It's every fighter's dream to get a title chance at the home of boxing, and I don't think anyone will go home disappointed with my display. " Only Alex Arthur and Carl Johanneson have got the better of Burns, and he says he has improved dramatically since those two losses, with new trainer Billy Nelson increasing his punching power. "The Arthur and Johanneson fights were great ones to learn from," said Burns. "I'm twice as good as when I lost to Arthur, and I pushed him all the way. "But the man I want is British champion Kevin Mitchell. Once I've got rid of Akaba I'll turn my attention to Mitchell. He's a great fighter but I'll be too quick and skilful for him." Akaba, a 28-year-old southpaw, has stopped eight of his 11 victims, and recently decisioned Brit-slayer Tshifhiwa Munyai in Dagenham, winning over eight.Chief support sees Derek Chisora take on Lee Swaby at heavyweight, while Eddie Corcoran, Grant Skehill, Vinnie Mitchell and Ryan Walsh also feature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home