Monday, October 13, 2008

Cleverly outpoints Oakey

Nathan Cleverly is eyeing a possible fight with Dean Francis following his impressive win over Tony Oakey on Friday night. Cleverly defeated Oakey on points to win the Commonwealth light-heavyweight title at the Everton Park Sports Centre in Liverpool. He had been due to fight Francis until the Basingstoke man vacated the Commonwealth belt six weeks ago. But a fight with Francis - the British title holder - could be resurrected in the wake of Cleverly's superb victory. And both fighters now hold triumphs over Oakey. Cleverly refused to call out Francis after the Oakey win - but didn't rule out a fight against the veteran puncher."I'm not going to get caught up in all the hype," the 21-year-old said. "It's going to be back to the drawing board and down to hard work. "We are going to sit down now and decide whether to defend this or go for another title." Meanwhile Cleverly said it was a dream come true to lift his first title - but said he won't be fully satisfied until he wins a world belt. "It makes all the hard work worthwhile. I've dreamt of this since I was 11 when I started boxing," he said. "I just have to stay level-headed and my dream to become world champion can be realised. "I haven't set a time to achieve my goal because anything can happen in boxing. "It's hard to be a champion, but harder to stay one and that's why I've got to dig deep."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home