Monday, October 13, 2008

Karlsson sets sights on Shanghai

Robert Karlsson, the most prolific Swedish winner in the history of The European Tour and the current leader of The European Tour Order of Merit, will aim to add China to the ever-growing list of countries where has enjoyed success when he lines up in the star-studded field for the HSBC Champions in Shanghai next month. The 39 year old Swede, who recently took his tally of European Tour successes to nine with back-to-back victories in the Mercedes-Benz Championship in Germany and the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship in Scotland, will make his second appearance at the Sheshan International Golf Club from November 6-9, having competed for the first time in the tournament which heralded the start of the 2007 European Tour season. Then, he recovered from a first round 73 with subsequent rounds of 68-69-70 for an eight under par total of 280 and a share of sixth place, four shots behind runner-up Tiger Woods and six shots adrift of the eventual champion, Y E Yang of Korea. "I am very much looking forward to returning to Shanghai for the HSBC Champions," said Karlsson. "I didn’t play the last time but enjoyed the whole experience the previous year and I will be aiming to improve on the finish I achieved then. "Sheshan International Golf Course is always presented in excellent condition and provides a very good test which is what the world’s top players always want, and is part of the reason why the strength of the field which will assemble in China is so strong. "The other reason, of course, is that sponsors HSBC have developed a much deserved reputation for staging high quality golf tournaments across the world, and I am certain the latest HSBC Champions will be another. Everyone connected with the tournament is to be applauded for that." The inclusion of Karlsson in the field further strengthens what is already a superb line up; headed by World Number Two Phil Mickelson of the United States and Ireland’s Padraig Harrington, a winner of two Major Championships in 2008. In addition, reigning Masters Tournament Champion Trevor Immelman will tee up alongside players of the calibre of Sergio Garcia, Geoff Ogilvy, Adam Scott and Henrik Stenson. Mickelson said: "I had a great time at the HSBC Champions last year. Winning such a prestigious international title was really important to me as I didn’t enjoy reading, every time I teed it up at the British Open, that I hadn’t won outside of the US since 1993! "It was also fantastic to have my family there to enjoy the experience of visiting China and we certainly saw some amazing sights. I will be doing all I can to successfully defend my title in November." Harrington added: "Throw in the fact that Phil is defending his first big title outside the States and Trevor is going to be there as the reigning Masters Champion and you can see that it will be a tough tournament to win. I’ve had a sixth and a fifth in the last two years, so I’m getting closer!" Of course, the HSBC Champions also heralds the start of the inaugural Race to Dubai on The 38th European Tour International Schedule, a global journey which will comprise at least 53 tournaments in 26 destinations before reaching a thrilling crescendo with The Dubai World Championship on the Earth Course at Jumeirah Golf Estates in Dubai in November 2009. "The Race to Dubai is a tremendously exciting development for everyone involved with The European Tour and European golf as a whole, and something which has made the whole world of golf sit up and take notice," said Karlsson. "Obviously, at present, I am leading The 2008 European Tour Order of Merit with this week’s Portugal Masters and the Volvo Masters to come. It would be fun if I finished the season as European Number One and became the first Swedish player to achieve that feat. It is not a goal itself for me but I would certainly be very pleased if it happened. Plus, it would be absolutely fantastic to be part of The Race to Dubai as European Number One especially after the golf I have played this year."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home