Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Costello grows up on the Mean Streets

Unbeaten light-middleweight prospect Thomas Costello is no stranger to the inside of some of the country's most notorious prisons. Fortunately it's as a visitor preaching the benefits of boxing rather than an inmate.But the Birmingham teenager admits that if it wasn't for the fight game, he could be watching the lectures rather than giving them. "I come from a pretty rough part of Birmingham, and a lot of the lads I grew up with went off the rails," said the 19-year-old who fights in his home city on October 31 at the Aston Events Centre. "Boxing's been my life and now I prefer a night in with my girlfriend to going out on the town. About the most exciting thing I do outside of boxing is carp fishing! "But if the sport hadn't come along then I might have been one of the boys I visit on the inside. I could easily have gone down that road." Costello, undefeated in six fights, makes regular trips to Young Offender Institutions in Birmingham, and also takes his gloves and punch bags to a number of the city's schools. "It's important to give something back to the community, and hopefully what I'm doing will encourage a few more people to take up boxing," said Costello. "It's given me such an amazing chance in life. May be it can give others hope as well." An outstanding amateur, Costello is trained by his dad John, a former boxer, and he says that he owes much of his success to him. "My dad gave up work a few years ago to help me," said Costello. "He was a pretty good fighter himself so he knew what I was going through, and has always been there. "He's got a couple of decent prospects in the gym, and then there's my little brother Joe, who is European champion and world number one at his weight in the U17s." Costello, who says he may end up at super-middleweight, will next appear at the Aston Villa Events Centre on October 31 on a card topped by fellow Brummie Don Broadhurst. And he is relishing the resurgence of boxing in England's second city. Costello featured on the undercard of the Amir Khan-Michael Gomez scrap at the N.I.A in June that was a 10,000 sell-out. "It's great that we're doing big shows again up here," he said. "Fighting at the N.I.A on Khan's undercard was really special and I'm sure in time I can become a big attraction in Birmingham with my exciting style. There's some really talented lads both professional and amateur, and I can't wait to start fighting for titles myself. "But too many boxers have ruined themselves by thinking about too much too soon, so I'll just be taking my time and not rushing things." Tickets for the Aston Events Show are available from the Ticket Factory 0871 945 6000 or Aston Events Box Office 0121 327 1649.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home