Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Remkes wins award from Thomas Bjorn

Red hot Dutchman Taco Remkes has capped a magnificent month by winning the ECCO Performance Award by Thomas Björn, and with it a cheque for €10,000. Remkes – who is bidding to finish the season as the Challenge Tour Number One at this week’s Apulia San Domenico Grand Final – sealed his third title at last week’s Margara Diehl-Ako Platinum Open, just three weeks after triumphing on home soil at The Dutch Futures Presented by The Royal Bank of Scotland. The man from Amsterdam was thus the unanimous choice of the four man judging panel, which was made up of European Tour Members Thomas Björn and Colin Montgomerie, Challenge Tour Managing Director Alain de Soultrait, and ECCO Chief Executive Dieter Kasprzak. Current Number Two Remkes, whose maiden victory came at the Scottish Challenge in June, said: “It’s been a great month for me, and winning the award is another confirmation that I’m doing a good job. To be recognised by such a prominent player as Thomas Björn is very special, because I’ve looked up to him since I started playing golf. “I know like me Thomas also won three times on the Challenge Tour, and is I can go on to achieve even half of what he’s done in his career, I’ll be a very happy man. If I could do for golf in Holland what he did for the game in Denmark, that would be massive. I’d love to become the first Dutchman to play in The Ryder Cup. But that’s a long way off yet – for now, I’m just concentrating on this week, and trying to win the Challenge Tour. That would also be very special.” Björn, who won the Challenge Tour in 1995, said: “It is a great pleasure to be involved in an award which recognises outstanding achievement on the Challenge Tour – a Tour which played a big part in my golfing education when I competed on it for three years in the early 1990s. Taco Remkes has been rightly rewarded for an outstanding debut season on the Challenge Tour, and I look forward to competing against him and his fellow graduates on The European Tour next season.”Alain de Soultrait said: “It is staggering to think this was Taco’s first season on the Challenge Tour. His improvement has been fantastic, and he is a fine example of the seriously talented young players who make the Challenge Tour such an exciting Tour. We will be sorry to lose him to The European Tour next season, but I have no doubts whatsoever that he will thrive there and continue to go from strength to strength.” Dieter Kasprzak said: “Taco Remkes was the obvious choice for the panel after becoming the first player to win three times in this, his debut season. He has been consistency personified, and is a very worthy winner of this award.” All players competing at this week’s Apulia San Domenico Grand Final will receive a pair of golf shoes courtesy of ECCO, who have supported seven events on this season’s Schedule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home