Thursday, October 02, 2008

Thaxton guns for Glory

Jon Thaxton is confident that sparring with former world champion Junior Witter will ensure he is crowned European lightweight champion on Saturday. Thaxton goes for glory at the Norfolk Showground which will be televised live on ITV4 "Big Fight Live" show as part of a new deal with Hennessy Sports. Thaxton faces Spaniard Juan Carlos Diaz Melero for the vacant European Lightweight Title after being stopped on a cut by world class Russian Yuri Romanov in April for the same title. To get ready for Melero, Thaxton has been sparring with Yorkshire man Witter, the former WBC, European and British light-welterweight champion. "This will be a lot different from the last fight against Romanov and no stone has been left unturned to make sure I am the new European lightweight champion on Saturday," said Thaxton. "Forget about my last fight – I know I started slow. My team were right in stopping the Romanov fight when they did in the sixth, but I felt I was coming on towards the end of it. "Melero had Romanov down before Romanov came back to stop him, but Romanov never put me down. I know Melero is a very capable boxer and he’s adaptable, but we’ve prepared for every situation. "I’ve been sparring with Junior Witter and if I can handle him, a former world and European champion, I can handle anything. Junior pushes me and we have prepared for anything Melero is going to throw at me."There’s going to be a big audience on ITV4 and to be fighting in Norwich is such a big boost for me. Both those factors will give me an edge, but I will block out all the fans and the cameras on the night." Thaxton's fellow Norwich boxer Danny McIntosh is also involved in a big fight on the same show. Unbeaten McIntosh takes on Ipswich's Steve Spartacus in an East Anglia derby for the English Light-Heavyweight Title. "I want to show the Norwich fans and a big TV audience on ITV4 what I can do," said McIntosh. "The last Norwich show was a while back and I’ve improved since then, and I want to show the Norwich fans that." Stylish London-Irish welterweight John O'Donnell, 22, prepares for an upcoming British Title Eliminator with Young Mutley in an eight-round bout with Frenchman Mihaita Mutu, who extended former British light-welterweight champion Lenny Daws to points in June and also has a win over former British champion Barry Morrison.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home