Friday, January 16, 2009

Warriors rage War in Wigan

Tyson Fury, British boxing’s biggest new star, has taken on a risky second professional fight at the Robin Park Arena in Wigan on Saturday, 17th January against an opponent who has won 20 of his 21 wins by stoppage with only three losses. Former ABA champion Fury (Manchester) made an excellent debut when he stopped Bela Gyongyosi with a body shot in the first round in Nottingham last month. The 6feet 8 ½ inch 20-year-old continues his march towards global recognition when he boxes Marcel Zeller (Germany) on the undercard of John Murray (Manchester) against Lee McAllister (Aberdeen) for the British Lightweight Title on a Hennessy Sports show that ITV4 will televise live from 7.40pm. Zeller might be far more experienced than big-hitting Fury, but the Manchester star is convinced he is ready for the task. "I want to take on good opponents because I believe I’m good enough and there’s no point in hanging around," said Tyson. "Obviously my promoter Mick Hennessy is not going to put me in with a world champion just yet, but I’m confident in my own ability and what I can achieve so that’s why I believe I can beat the likes of Zeller (21-3). "I was happy enough with my pro debut but I only had a couple days notice for it because I had just come back off honeymoon, but I’ve prepared a lot better for this one." Promoter Mick Hennessy is convinced of Fury’s potential to go all the way after signing the former amateur star last year. "You don’t get 20 knockouts like Zeller has if you can’t punch but I believe if Tyson stays focused he will become a mega star and a genuine world heavyweight champion in the future," said Mick. "It's refreshing when someone says to you he wants to fight better opponents to the ones you are coming up with, but obviously I'm going to have to rein him in a bit." Tickets can be purchased on the night at the Robin Park Arena.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home