Friday, March 20, 2009

DeGale's Royal Appointment

Olympic champion James DeGale faced his toughest opponent yet - The Queen. DeGale picked up an MBE from Her Majesty at Buckingham Palace, along with other British stars of the 2008 Games. "I was pretty nervous, it's much more frightening than boxing!" said DeGale, who was honoured after landing the middleweight title in China. "But the Queen was fantastic and I actually had quite a long chat with her. She was asking me about my boxing and how I started out - hopefully she'll now become a fan. "Being given the MBE is a fantastic honour, and it made me so proud today. "Afterwards they play the national anthem, and it gave me goose bumps and reminded me of winning the gold medal in Beijing. It was quite a feeling. "Last year I promised myself that I would win gold in China, and I managed to make that dream come true. Now I have to prove myself all over again in the professional ranks though." DeGale didn't spend too long in central London, heading straight to the gym after the ceremony. It's so he will be in excellent shape for his second professional fight, which takes place in Belfast on either May 8 or May 9. The 23-year-old got his paid career off to the best possible start with a comprehensive four-round win in Birmingham last month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home