Thursday, June 04, 2009

Lawton in Title Quest

Boxing is Scott Lawton’s life but he admits that it’s a life that won’t be complete until he gets his hands on the British Lightweight title. Two time English champion Lawton will challenge John Murray for his Lonsdale belt at the Robin Park Arena in Wigan on Saturday, June 13th and he says he’s desperate to rip the title away from Murray. The fight headlines a Hennessy Sports event which will be live on ITV4 and while Murray is being tipped for European and possibly World honours Lawton only has one thing in his sights. “I want that British title, it’s what I’ve dreamed about for the last 19 years since I first put on a pair of gloves,” said the challenger. “It would mean the absolute world to me to win the British title and I’m very confident that I can do it. John’s a very good young fighter but I believe I’m at my peak now and this is my time to take the British title.” The 32-year-old from Stoke in involved in every aspect of the boxing game from promoting and managing courtesy of his Impact boxing promotional outfit and helping to train his stable mates at his gym in Fenton. “I eat and sleep boxing, it’s 24/7 for me really,” admits the boxing fanatic. “Even when I don’t have a fight coming up I’m still in the gym every day doing a bit of training or helping the other lads out at the gym. I also do a lot of work in the local schools talking to kids because boxing is such a great sport to keep kids off the streets and out of trouble.” Lawton has already had one shot at the Lonsdale belt but came up short against then British Lightweight Champion Jonathan Thaxton in 2007. “After the Thaxton defeat I thought my chance at a British title might have come and gone,” recalled Lawton. “I fought Amir Khan for the Commonwealth title after that and it was a great experience but the fight just didn’t go my way. “I think I was caught in the headlights a bit in those fights but looking back now I think I learned an awful lot from those defeats and I think I’ve proved that in my last few fights. “I understand the game a lot better now and I’m fighting to my strengths. I’m using my boxing ability now instead of just getting into a fight. I also think I’m a lot stronger mentally and I think that will all stand to me going into this fight.” Lawton has been in fine form since those back to back losses to Thaxton and Khan winning all six contests and becoming a two time English Champion in the process by halting the rise of promising contender, Martin Gethin. “I’ve taken a lot of confidence from the Gethin win going into this fight because Martin’s style is quite similar to John’s,” said Lawton. “They’re both pressure fighters and Gethin is very strong like John although he probably doesn’t have as high a workrate. Lawton is more than familiar with Murray having already sparred with him on a couple of occasions. “If our spars are anything to go by then it’s going to be an entertaining scrap. I really enjoyed the spars, he’s strong and aggressive and I think we’re both very stubborn guys so it should make for an exciting fight because neither of us will back down. “He probably has a bit more power than me but I believe I’m the better boxer and I think that will be the key on the night. I’m at my best against pressure fighters like John so I think his style will suit me. “I’m predicting a win but I don’t care how it comes. If it’s on points that’s fine and if it’s a stoppage then that’s a bonus. I know I’m not the biggest puncher in the world but John does tend to mark up a bit around the eyes so that could be a factor as well.” Lawton says he won’t be making the short journey up the M6 on his own either with the Scott Lawton fanclub expected to be out in force. “I’ll be bringing quite a bit of support with me. My fans have always travelled to support me and Wigan’s only an hour up the road so it should make for a great night and hopefully I can finally get my hands on that Lonsdale belt.” The chief support at the Robin Park Arena on Saturday, June 13th will feature heavyweight sensation Tyson Fury in his seventh pro fight. Joining Fury on the undercard will be his cousin Phill Fury alongside the return of Light Welterweight contender Nadeem Siddique, hot Featherweight prospect Steve “Super Bad” Barnes and exciting Canadian puncher Andrew Singh Kooner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home