Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Andre Dirrell blasts Carl Froch

Unbeaten American star Andre “The Matrix” Dirrell has come out all guns blazing ahead of his Super Six showdown with WBC Super Middleweight Champ Carl Froch on October 17th. Froch will have home advantage for the clash with promoter Mick Hennessy confirming that the fight will take place at the Trent FM Arena in Nottingham with tickets for the event going on sale next week. The bout takes place on the opening night of the Super Six World Boxing Classic, a groundbreaking new tournament which will ultimately crown the World’s best Super Middleweight and produce a strong candidate for the best pound for pound fighter on the planet. Dirrell, an Olympic medallist from the Athens Games in 2004 has racked up 18 straight wins in the paid ranks and he’s dismissed Froch as the weakest in the Super Six line-up which also includes WBA champ, Mikkel Kessler, IBF Middleweight title holder Arthur Abraham, former Undisputed Middleweight champ Jermain Taylor and 2004 Olympic Gold medallist Andrew Ward. “I begged to get Froch in my first fight,” revealed Dirrell. “He’s the guy I wanted. This is going to be my easiest fight. This is the fight where I’ll show off and look my best and that’s a guarantee. I’ll look my best there because he’s just that easy to hit and he’s slow.” Dirrell is distinctly unimpressed with Froch despite the Nottingham man’s back to back fight of the year candidates in winning the WBC title against the unbeaten Jean Pascal last December and defending the belt in April with a dramatic final round KO over marquee American star Jermain Taylor. “Froch only beat Jean Pascal because Pascal didn’t do his job and fought the wrong fight,” claimed Dirrell. “He fought Jermain Taylor and was losing to Taylor but got fortunate and knocked him out. Froch hasn’t really shown me anything. Honestly if you want to sit back and break it down he’s not really a true champion yet. If he can win this tournament then he’ll become a true champion but he’s not there yet.” Although he travelled the world during a glorious amateur career Dirrell has yet to fight outside the U.S. as a pro. However he insists that crossing the Atlantic holds no fear for him and he will be looking to restore some American pride to the Super Middleweight division. “Even before this series came about I wanted to go to the U.K. and beat Carl Froch for the WBC title and then go to Denmark and beat Mikkel Kessler for the WBA title because I want to make a statement to the American fans that we’re not down and out. “My plan was always to go to Europe and bring those belts home because that’s the American way and I want to fulfil that to the fullest and this tournament gives me the opportunity to do just that and I know for certain that I will. I’m just super hungry because I know that these are the top guys to beat and I’m in a great position and I know that I’m going to come out of this victorious.” The 26-year-old switch hitter from Flint, Michigan has no doubts that he has the quality to emerge victorious from the Super Six series. “My skill is outstanding, my will is unbearable and my physical strength and mental game are second to none,” claimed Dirrell. “I will beat World Champion after World Champion and that in turn will make me the best out there. That’s what I love about this tournament.” Although he doesn’t hold Froch in high regard Dirrell appears to have far greater respect for his other European rivals in the Super Six series. “Mikkel Kessler will definitely be the toughest fight for me and I love Arthur Abraham’s defence so he’ll be another tough opponent. He’s also going to be quicker than the other guys because he’s coming up from a smaller weight class.” German based Abraham will also be in action on October 17th when he faces Jermain “Bad Intentions” Taylor in the American’s first fight since his dramatic defeat to Froch in Connecticut in April. The final bout of the first stage of the Super Six round robin takes place on November 21st when Mikkel Kessler squares off against unbeaten American Andre Ward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home