Thursday, August 20, 2009

British Title Fights in Liverpool

The mouth-watering all-British Liverpool super-middleweight title clash between Paul Smith and Tony Quigley will take place on October 30 at the Liverpool Echo Arena - with another blockbuster domestic showdown sharing top billing. Kell Brook's eagerly anticipated British welterweight title defence against Michael Jennings will also go ahead on the same card.
"These are two cracking fights that everyone has been talking about," said promoter Frank Warren. "I'm delighted to be putting them on. "Local pride will be at stake when Smith takes on Quigley, and I'm expecting a cracker, while Brook-Jennings is a War of the Roses that's also a potential classic." At a London press conference today, Smith said that he's delighted that his challenge for Quigley's title will go ahead in the pair's home city. "Liverpool has been buzzing since this fight was announced," he said. "People are stopping me in the street asking me about the fight and I can't wait. "I've always said that given the right opponent and the right fight, people are going to see the best of me, and that's going to happen on October 30. "Quigley's been mouthing off about recently and I can't wait to shut him up and take his title away." Brook, who has recently won a Lonsdale belt outright with a string of KO victories, is also looking forward to his clash with Jennings. "There's no way that Michael is getting his hands on my title," he said. "He's a good fighter and very experienced but I'll be too quick and too strong." Jennings said: "Kell's a nice lad and I'm not going to bad mouth about him, but I know how to beat him and I'll be too experienced." Tickets will be on sale from tomorrow (Friday 21 August) and are available from the Liverpool Echo Arena on 0844 8000 400 and Ticketmaster: 0844 847 2500.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home